Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dear Country Newspaper Gal (1946)

How Jane's father responded to a personal ad placed in the Saturday Review of Literature.
___________________________________

Dear Country Newspaper Gal.

Your recent ad in SRL [Saturday Review Literature] is the first that has intrigued me for many months. I seem to have a hundred questions I would like to ask, but since you state that you like to write to intelligent males, it seems unnecessary to ask questions for certainly you must reveal considerable about yourself simply by enjoying writing. I sense that if you care to reply, it will be a reply of length rather than cautious, indicative-of-naught responses that one is accustomed to receiving.

As to my intelligence: More than anything else, I would prefer having more, however I see a Phi Kappa Phi key gathering dust on a nearby catch-all try, which is probably indicative of a little edge over the average. If you require an IQ rating, I shall be glad to exchange.

Frankly, I lack the time to indulge in much more correspondence than is necessary to keep in touch with widely scattered friends but find it necessary to do some in order to acquire new friends (an important part of life at all ages) with that intangible element of spirit that I cherish but seldom find among the good but inarticulate folk with whom I rub elbows.

It strikes me that the latter part of the last paragraph may be applicable to you as well?

One of the most fascinating parts of answering SRL ads is guessing where the addressee lives and later learning. I am putting you in new England with a lean toward Massachusetts.

No doubt you will better be able to decide whether or not to reply if you have a few vital statistics. They follow quite at random. I am 29, white, unmarried, 5' 11" tall, weigh 165, dark blond hair, blue eyes and a passable appearance. I am not perverted as you may know or certainly will learn that many SRL habitues are. I have no religious affiliation, am self employed, live in a pleasant, fertile rural community only an hour or two away from most large Eastern cities. My likes include active, sincere people who think for themselves and know why they do what they do, most lower animals and nature in general, scientific progress, good art and literature within my ken, beauty, understanding and tolerance. My aversions are time-wasting games, stupid people, intemperance in all things, excessive philosophizing, non-voters in a democracy, most of urban living, and drudgery, although I must admit that I have at time indulged in all.

May I hear from you?

Most sincerely,

/s/

1 comment:

  1. Pop's comment his "Phi Kappa Phi key gathering dust on a nearby catch-all tray" is so indicative of his nature. He's held steadfast to his many likes and dislikes during his 92 years and counting. I've oft admired his letter writing abilities. He continues to pen many letters (which I type or email for him since his penmanship is legible to few) to politicians, friends, relatives and folks he wishes to inspire, congratulate, gently persuade, suggest another point of view, or notify them about something of possible interest. - judi brown

    ReplyDelete